How to apply

Frequently Asked Questions - Electoral Identity Card

If your Electoral Identity Card has expired, you do not need to renew it to vote at a polling station - identity documents produced at a polling station are no longer required to be current, as long as the photograph is of a good enough likeness to allow polling station staff to confirm the identity of the holder.

Please note: hats or head coverings are not permitted in Electoral ID Card photos except when worn for religious or medical reasons and only if the full facial features are visible.

You can apply for a card in person or by post.

The deadline for applying for an Electoral ID Card for the West Tyrone by-election on 3 May has now passed.


Applications may be made in person at any Area Office where your photograph will be taken for the card free of charge (you will not need to provide identification if you apply in this way, provided you are listed on the electoral register). You will need to provide your National Insurance Number on the form.

You will receive your card within 10 working days if you are listed on the electoral register and within 6-8 weeks if you are not listed on the register. Cards cannot be issued immediately.


Registration/ID application form (PDF)

1. Complete the registration/ID application form in full and tick the Electoral ID Card box.

2. Enclose a colour, passport-sized photo with your name and date of birth written on the back.

3. Enclose either one of the forms of photographic identification listed below or a declaration (see below) completed by an MP, MEP, MLA or Councillor:

  • A UK, Irish, EEA or Commonwealth driving licence (photographic part) (provisional accepted)
  • A UK, Irish, EU or Commonwealth passport
  • A National Identity Card
  • An expired Electoral Identity Card
  • A Translink Senior SmartPass
  • A Translink 60+ SmartPass
  • A Translink War Disabled SmartPass
  • A Translink Blind Person’s SmartPass
  • A Disabled Persons Blue Badge issued by the Roads Service
  • An Application Registration Card issued by the Home Office
  • A Student Card

The identification document must be original - copies cannot be accepted. We will return your identification document using the same method of postage used to send it to us or you can take your application, photo and identification document to an Area Office.

If you do not have photographic identification to send in with your application, you can ask an MP, MEP, MLA or Councillor to complete the declaration below and send it in with your form.

Declaration form to be completed by an MP, MEP, MLA or Councillor (PDF)